Monday, May 23, 2011

Shower Blunders

Hi there! It's been a while. So sorry. I have missed writing for the last 2 weeks but I have been so busy that I just couldn't fit it in.

Yesterday I helped throw a baby shower at my house. It was so much fun! The prep was intense and time consuming but what a fun creative outlet and a time filled with prayer and celebration for the mommy-to-be (my sister in law) and my newest nephew. Like I said it was time consuming and I'll tell you why. We are living like no one else right now with our extreme budgeting. We say no to a lot of things, we make a lot of things, and we do a lot of things cheaply. That being said, creating a shower for someone is not an easy task. Especially when you are someone who not only wants to make everything herself but also HAS to make everything! If I want it, and I want it to stay in my budget I need to make it. Which gave me a lot of late nights one of them being a night before the shower all nighter with my sister. I didn't even realize I had been up all night until I heard my daughter wake up and my sister
asked if this was her wake up time! Oh my goodness I could not believe it. And I wasn't even done. It all came together though, and was beautiful and special...except for the games part. I was in charge or games until i realized how much was on my plate and spoke to my sister (shower planning teammate) and we said we'd do simpler games that weren't so "gamey" well we never really nailed anything down and as the shower began I realized how quickly it would fly by if there were no actual games. Ahhhhhh! I freaked out and started searching for easy shower games on my iPad but didn't come up with much. I started sweating as I noticed the conversations dying down in anticipation for the next shower activity. Ahhhh, I searched more. I quickly stumbled upon a "name that lullaby" game and thought i'd gather paper, some pens and Id throw one of the kids CDs in a player and it would be a great game. Only I couldn't find any pens. I frantically left the party, ran into the house (the party was poolside)searched my
home and came up with 1 leaking pen, two barely working pens, and about 6 permanent markers. WHAT?! I also found about 12 pencils that would have been perfect but I found no sharpener for these brand spankin new pencils and just simply didn't have enough time to chisel each down with a knife. So on I went to hand over these questionable and obviously unplanned "pens" and markers (oh goodness how embarrassing). I am forgetting to mention here that my husband had taken the car which most of the kids CDs is in, so I grabbed one from there room that I used to play for my oldest when he would go to bed. I told the guests the rules. "we will listen to 5 songs and you need to guess what the title is to each, the person with the most correct wins!" (I began sweating here even more because I realized I didn't even know what songs were on there) Ahhhh! So the first song plays and I get the most questionable looks from the guests. Oh no, this is not going well. Then the music stops, chaos starts with the guests not knowing and needing more time, we smooth it out and move to the next song, chaos again, smooth
it out, move to the next song. With each move to the next song the tension builds and the songs get less and less familiar. Even to me. Oh man my blood pressure must have sky rocketed. It's just a game, sure, but when you love event planning and you're main goal is to make people feel special and thought about and fussed over and you fall short it's not a happy feeling. So on we struggled with this game and (rightly) dis-satisfied guests until a glimmer of hope when one of my sisters leans over and says "I have a lullaby app on my phone and they are all really familiar." ok what? Wait a minute you have a solution to this sweat inducing, panic filled problem and you're just now sharing it with me! Get up woman! Get up and save us from this drowning of unfamiliar lullabies and angry shower guests. (I'm making it sound worse then it probably was but to me I am still not doing the horror of it justice.) she played the music using the app she had and although it was quiet she saved the day and the game was played. Someone won (my mom- is that even fair?) and we all moved on. To the next game I
created in my head and although my "make-up-a-nursery-rhyme-about-the-mommy-baby-and-daddy" game did turn out some surprisingly amazing rhymes and poems, some people didn't even want to play. (insert sound of my shamed crying.)

All in all it was a few moments that didn't last too long and I learned a lot from. Never pull
an all nighter after your 20s. And always have a pencil sharpener handy.

Check out a few pics from the shower in our vlog on youtube here:
OUR DEBT FREE JOURNEY VLOG

No comments:

Post a Comment